Sabancı University is a young university that seeks excellence in both research and teaching. Currently, it is amongst the top Institutions of Turkey as measured by major global rankings lists.
In the Faculty of Engineering and Natural Sciences (FENS), we offer graduate programs in 11 disciplines. We boast strength in a range of research areas supported by a wide array of well-equipped laboratories. Our renowned faculty members who conduct world class research at the national and international arena are supported in an environment where they can continually improve themselves and their groups. Additional facilities are provided by the Centers that have stemmed and developed from the research areas of our Faculty.
FENS fellowship programme offers two year positions for talented junior researchers who want to carry out independent challenging research, while taking advantage of opportunities for training and career orientation for an established future in academia.
The fellowship is designed to open our excellent facilities for the realization of unique and novel research ideas. The applicant is expected to explore our infrastructure, and (i) propose an independent research agenda in line with the strengths of FENS, (ii) list the equipment needed to carry out the proposal, (iii) name full time FENS-affiliated faculty member(s) who can mentor the fellow, (iv) provide a research plan with a detailed timeline.
Candidates are expected:
- to have received a PhD in the last three years or expect to receive their degree within three months at the time of the application.
- to have a proven research record.
- to have excellent command of English.
- not have post-graduate affiliation with Sabancı University.
Who can apply:
- Individuals who have received a PhD in the last three years or expect to receive their degree within three months at the time of the application.
- Candidates with a proven research record.
- Applicants not having post-graduate affiliation with Sabancı University.
What we offer:
- The standard salary of a postdoctoral fellow for a period of up-to 24 months (extension to the second year depends on the performance evaluation at the end of the first year).
- A research budget of 7,500 TL for the first year, with increases according to SU-affiliated publications in the following year.
- Open use of the research facilities, in line with the rules and regulations that may apply to individual equipment.
- Possibility to apply for national and international funding for career development.
- Possibility to recruit FENS undergraduate students into the projects.
- On campus accommodation.
- Private health insurance plan.
Applications are cumulatively evaluated at the end of every other month, starting 31 December 2018. Results are communicated to the applicants within two months at the latest. Candidates are expected to state a preferred starting date, but are encouraged to start the position as soon as possible.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a complete application including:
- Letter of motivation (please include the names of at least two FENS faculty members who are closest to your proposed area of research; you may collaborate with these individuals or they may mentor you during the fellowship)
- Curriculum vitae, including a list of publications.
- Short description of your scientific field of interest and a research plan (max. two A4-size pages).
- List of equipment necessary to carry out the research and monthly time plan (max. one A4-size page).
- Two letters of recommendation, preferably one from your PhD advisor, and another from your last employer, if different from your PhD advisor.
Applications with missing documentation will be automatically disqualified; resubmissions will be considered in the following evaluation period.
Please collate all documents into a single pdf file and send it by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries about the program may also be made at the same address.